Salamanca Cradle of Modern Chess
“Salamanca, Cradle of Modern Chess” from April 25th to 29th in Salamanca. The festival aims to commemorate that it was in our city where the newly born rules of modern chess were compiled in the year 1497. These new rules were written by Lucena, a student of this University, who published them in an incunabulum titled “The Art of Chess with 150 Match Games.” One of these copies is preserved in the Historical Library of the University.
The Festival includes a comprehensive program of activities:
- A Master Tournament featuring eight prominent figures from the world of chess, maintaining a gender-balanced number of female and male players.
- Simultaneous games
- Free Chess courses
- Chess promotion and development day
- Amateur Chess Tournament
- Popular Chess Tournament
- Children’s Chess Tournament
- Educational Chess Congress
- International Open Tournament “Pablo de Unamuno Tournament”